9.09.2010

{will you play solitaire with me?}

sometimes i just roll my eyes and laugh inside.  oh, children: the little aliens that are so mischievous... yet, are so darn cute that you don't mind.  which brings me to my next story-- we (the teachers)  have been TRAPPED inside with the kids for TWO recesses.  do you know what happens when kids aren't able to run wild and free?  they turn into monkeys, sharks, and emus (shout out for my camp people-- holla!).  any YES, a combined species.  (PICTURE IT-- that combo is fierce... did you put that baby into a mental picture, yet?  UFTAH!)   these are the days that teachers have the urge to  "call in sick"  or schedule doctors appointments but resist because they are professions who love their job (most of the time)....   you may be unaware, but teachers not only double as nurses, physiologists, counselors, mothers, yes- zookeepers, janitors, cheerleaders, and detectives (a few of our many roles) but one of our overlooked gifts is rhw role of a meteorologists.  we can tell you when a storm is coming DAYS in advance.  how?  the way our children act-- no lie, ask any teacher and they'll agree.  Anyways, on with the story... as I'm trying to camouflage myself from my little friends (who by now have become natural disasters), one little guy who is playing lego's notices that my spirit-o-meter would be much higher if i was taking part in the festivities.  he walks over to me...

child: "do you know how to play solitaire?" 
me: (where is he going with this?  does he not notice this book i'm holding up to escape from this juggle?)  "yes, i do!  it's a fun game!"
child:  "do you want to play solitaire with me?"
me: (i tilt my head and smile.. hum?)  "isn't solitaire a one person game?" 
child:  "oh, yeah."  (as he scampers off to play lego's with his friends )

i can't figure out how the little ones who make you want to tear your hair out are the same little ones that make you smile the most and keep you coming back day after day.  it must be the "alien" in them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment